PLAYER CODE OF CONDUCT
Rhode Island Magic-Player Contract
As a member of the Rhode Island Magic, I agree to always:
1. Hustle. I will always hustle at all practices/games and never quit. Regardless of the score of the game, I will always
give my best effort for my teammates, coaches, the program and my family.
2. I will respect my coaches and parents. I may not always agree with what they say or how they say it, but I understand
they want to help me become the best player I can be.
3. I will not use drugs, alcohol or tobacco.
4. I will practice good sportsmanship before, during and after games and treat all opposing players, coaches and fans with
respect. I understand that how I behave and present myself will reflect either positively or negatively on my teammates,
coaches and the Magic.
5. I understand if I get a technical foul for unsportsmanlike behavior during a game, I will not go back into that game.
6. I will respect decisions made by the referees. I cannot change their call, and I recognize my reaction reflects poorly on
myself and my team.
7. I understand practices are an opportunity to develop my skills. Practice is my time to make mistakes, try new skills and
improve as a basketball player. I will make mistakes, but I will use them as opportunities to learn.
8. I will practice self-control, setting a positive example for others. I will not get down on myself when things are not going
my way. I will always support and encourage my teammates and treat my teammates the way I want to be treated.
9. I understand my grades in school and behavior at home and outside of basketball may impact my position on the team.
There is more to life than basketball.
10. I will embrace my role, position and not complain. This is a team, and I will always do what is necessary for the team to
This brief video, from a Division I basketball coach, summarizes how players need to move from focusing on themselves to the team and be willing to sacrifice. https://saturdaytradition.com/purdue-football/you-have-to-get-over-yourself-matt-painters-postgame-message-after-purdues-loss-is-going-viral/
I will always do my best to follow these rules. My coaches, parents/guardians and I understand that I am not perfect, but repeated violations can and will impact my status with the Magic. Depending on the severity and frequency of my infractions, I may see less playing time, a diminished role or complete removal from my team. These are rules I embrace to help me become a better player, teammate and person.